The forum, titled "Water Conservation in the Mississippi Headwaters: The latest science, methodology and collaborations," is presented by Todd Holman, of The Nature Conservancy, and Dan Steward, of the Board of Water and Soil Resources.
“Our water resources in the central and northern lakes area of Minnesota appear abundant and of excellent quality," said presenter Todd Holman, "Unfortunately, all is not what it may seem.” Holman's co-presenter, Dan Steward, added “ In the last five years, Minnesota has been ranked second highest in the conversion of forest and native vegetation to agriculture, resulting in increased amounts of phosphorus and nitrogen that will, and in some cases already has, affected both our ground and surface water.”
The purpose of the Rosenmeier Center for State & Local Government is to inform, to educate, and to encourage citizens of Central Minnesota to participate in effective governance, planning, and leadership; and to assist in the process of:
- Identifying and building leadership capacity;
- To improve cooperation between state and local government;
- Improving cooperation between and among state and local governments;
- Creating awareness among citizens of the value of individual participation in their community;
- Increasing the impact of the Center through partnerships and cooperation with other groups and similarly proposed organizations.