Decontamination at the station will consist of a hot water rinse to kill zebra mussels, and pressure wash to remove plant material from boats, motors, trailers, and other equipment. The station is operated by DNR-trained, certified inspectors who will ensure the process is effective and safe. Decontamination will be provided to boaters free of charge.
County and Level 1 DNR inspectors will be directing boaters to the station for decontamination if it is deemed necessary per the DNR guidelines:
- If AIS or other unknown substances or stuck on plants are discovered during an inspection at the boat landing.
- If a watercraft has been in infested waters for more than 24 hours.
- If the watercraft is being transported to a new water body within 24 hours.
- Water that cannot be drained or verified (i.e. water you cannot see, such as water in ballast tanks).
- An inspector or law officer deems it necessary.
Click here to go to the Crow Wing County website for more information about this and other AIS prevention efforts.